Cat dies in house fire in Fishponds

fire-investigatorA cat died in a house blaze in Fishponds yesterday (Thursday) afternoon.

A neighbour was alerted to the fire when smoke started to seep through the wall and triggered their smoke alarm.

When crews arrived they found a well-developed fire in the kitchen of the house in Lawn Road.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and tackled the fire using two high pressure hose reels and a covering jet. A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the heavily smoke-logged property.

It is believed the fire started after an electrical fault with the washing machine. It is thought the occupant had just finished using the machine and left the property.

The cat died from the effects of breathing in smoke. No one else was in the house at the time.