People of all ages turned out to show their respects at Remembrance services today.
There were parades through the centre of Staple Hill, Kingswood, Keynsham and Longwell Green, and services were held across our area including at the war memorials in Warmley, Mangotsfield and Bitton.
Among those paying tribute today were members of Hanham Youth Club who made giant poppies which they placed at the war memorial outside Hanham Community Centre.
The cross has recently had a facelift – the granite stone has been cleaned and repaired where it had cracked, the lettering refurbished and artificial grass now replaces the real grass. The work was funded by South Gloucestershire and carried out with help from volunteers from Hanham Baptist Church.
Hanham Local History Society has written a history of the cross which originally stood at the junction of Whittucks Road and the High Street opposite the Blue Bowl pub. The pamphlet details the history of the memorial from its original dedication in 1924 to the present day, and copies were available at today’s service.