Pupils at Mangotsfield CEVC Primary School in fire evacuation drama

mango schoolA burnt-out central heating pump sparked a fire alarm and the evacuation of pupils from Mangotsfield CEVC Primary School.

Headteacher Marion Borland said the alarm went off last Tuesday afternoon and the entire school, which has almost 500 pupils, was “efficiently and safely” evacuated from the building in less than two minutes and 40 seconds.

Coincidentally there had been an evacuation practice the previous Friday.

It is the second fire incident at the school in Church Farm Road, Emersons Green, in less than four years. In December 2010 fire broke out at as more than 200 parents were watching a Christmas show. That fire, which was in a speaker, was quickly extinguished and the whole building evacuated.

Mrs Borland said of last week’s event: “The alarm sounded as a result of the fact that one of the central heating pumps in our plant room burnt out.

“The children were outside for less than 30 minutes during which time two fire engines arrived, the fault was located and the school was declared safe for re-entry.”

She said that an impromptu exercise session while outside had hopefully kept the children from being too cold, but that as a result of feedback from staff, parents and carers, emergency foil blankets has been purchased and would be made available in the “unlikely event” of any future emergency evacuations.